Friday, May 16, 2008

It's Pencilin' Time!

Here are three examples of the Kirby pencil reproductions I've been working on. I've been doing these in conjunction with the Kirby book I'm writing. The exercise is to recreate Jack's pencils as accurately as possible with as little interpretation as possible. Being left-handed, I have to work slowly and carefully in order to match the direction of Kirby's right-handed line. To give you an idea of the speed I work, Barda's face alone took me more than two hours, and it took me two more days to complete the piece. I'm working from very poor photocopies so I take a great deal of time to understand what exactly I'm looking at before I pencil it. I never refer to the published page. It's great fun and I'm happy with the results, even if they don't smell of Jack's cigars. Not every one is a success, but these three are fair forgeries. I displayed them at the NY con this year to great acclaim.


No comments: